Many women experience vaginal dryness during their lifetime, especially post-menopausal and pregnant women as well as young mothers. Pain, decreased sex drive, depression … vaginal dryness can turn into a real nightmare.
What is vaginal dryness?
Vaginal dryness, or vaginal atrophy, is a frequent symptom resulting from a lack of lubrication in the vagina. This lack of lubrication may cause tingling, burning, and itchiness, and make sexual intercourse painful (dyspareunia). Along with pain, vaginal dryness can upset a couple’s harmony and lead to psychological problems in women. Vaginal dryness also makes women more prone to gynecological infections.
What are the causes of vaginal dryness?
Causes are numerous. Vaginal dryness is often linked to lower estrogen counts in the body, resulting in a decrease in secretion and moisture in the vagina. An example of this is after childbirth or menopause.
Other factors can also cause dryness in the mucous membrane and lead to insufficient vaginal lubrication:
- Stress, fatigue, anxiety.
- Some medications (contraceptives, antidepressants and antihistamines) or specific treatments (chemotherapy and radiation therapy).
- Excessive or inappropriate personal hygiene.
- Irritations or infections of the vaginal mucous membrane.
- Tobacco and alcohol consumption.
What can be done?
Vaginal dryness is still all too frequently seen as a taboo topic, making it hard to talk about it with one’s partner or a healthcare professional. However, there are solutions for treating this condition.
- Hormone treatments containing estrogens (tablets, creams, ovules …) are available, but many women do not want to or cannot take hormones.
- Herbs such as sage, soya, black cohosh, or red clover, are known for their beneficial effects on vaginal dryness. Due to their phytoestrogen content, they activate the natural hydration of the vagina.
- There are also non-hormonal vaginal gels; these have the advantage of rehydrating and lubricating the vagina at the same time. Rehydration can last up to 3 days.
Nutrisanté Laboratories have specifically designed Nutrifem Advanced Formula. Its natural, with no parabens or phytoestrogens, provides rapid, extended long-acting relief for vaginal dryness. It helps to relieve the symptoms associated with menopause.